Chitika banner

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Top Gear UK^HSA

So I saw a promo for a new version of a US version of Top Gear. I don't really know how I feel about this. I never saw any of whatever the original US version was. In fact, I'm not even sure it got out of the meeting rooms and onto the air, but I have a memory in the back of my mind of hearing about it airing at least a few times and failing miserably. If that's the case, well, that's too bad. Still, it'd be nice if this version of it was any good. And if it is any good it'd be nice for it to hang around for a bit.

From what I can think of I can see some serious plus sides to a US version of Top Gear. The first being that I'd be able to actually understand what they're saying a much higher percentage of the time. I'm a huge fan of Top Gear's hosts, but sometimes I just plain can't make out WTF they're saying. It makes me really glad I have DVR so I can hit the "back up a few seconds and do that again" button. Another nice bonus would be that I'd probably know who these "celebrities" they have on the show are and that I'd get the pop culture references at a much higher rate.

I can think of some downsides, too though. I mean, Top Gear's hosts are just so perfect for the show. I like the way that Jeremy thinks anyone who owns a Camaro is a murderer, the way that both James and Jeremy pick on Richard for being short and the way that Richard and Jeremy poke fun at James for being "Captain Slow". I don't really know how long it took for the hosts to get into their respective places on Top Gear, but it might be painful to watch on the US version. And if that ends up being the case, well, US viewers might not stick it out through the early episodes. But hey, if US TV viewers can manage to watch two full seasons of Jersey Shore without killing themselves then they should be able to take the adjustment period of a car show. another problem I could see is that Americans just aren't the CAR people they used to be. Half of us (sadly) probably couldn't get a standard transmission car moving on even the slightest incline (hur dur, why's your car need two brake pedals?) let alone get one around a racetrack in decent time. And if they try to appeal to the greater public by reviewing SUVs and hybrids I may have to puke.

Either way though, I'm still looking forward to checking this show out and I hope it turns out being decent. Is anyone else going to watch it?

(P.S. Fuck you google toolbar spellcheck for trying to tell me Camaro should be spelled Camry.)

8 comments:

  1. top gear was cool :D
    anyway google tranlate is powerfull xDDD ehhhhh xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. meh, Top Gear is great because of the presentors. You can;t reduplicate that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The US version of english shows sucks. Look at the office.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think that US version is going to be good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah I really can't see it being the same show at all without Jezza etc. Might be a good show, but it won't be Top Gear. :[

    ReplyDelete
  6. You never know, you might like the US version better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think by Camaro you mean "Camry"

    no really if the US version has cars recognizable to the US population, I will enjoy it more. Kind of like when GT2 etc came out and I learned that in Japan, cars are weird.

    ReplyDelete