Chitika banner

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Any console game developers listening?

I sure hope you are listening if you're here, console game developers and/or promoters because I have a way (the only way for some) to draw first person shooter players away from the PC and onto whatever console you're pimping at the moment. And here it is. Everyone knows how much more superior mouse and keyboard is compared to a console controller when playing a shooter. So if you want your console game to be taken seriously in the eyes of real FPS players why the hell not bundle it with a mouse and keypad? That thing pictured on the left is a Nostromo n52 keypad produced by Belkin and I'm sure we already know what the thing on the right is. Sure you don't need to go crazy and bundle a $40 gaming device, but try something similar, eh? And as for the mouse, I'm sure you could simply bundle an adapter that would let you plug in any USB (or if you're feeling retro PS/2) mouse into the console (or better yet, have it plug into the cord that the n52 like device is on so you don't have to waste another controller port).

It really doesn't matter what game you bundle with this it WILL make PC FPS players take a second look at the console market. It'd sure help though, to bundle it with a good game or even a game from a well known franchise. I'm 100% positive that I'm not alone in the gaming community as a person who plays console FPS games pretty damned well, but get downright pissed off at the inaccuracy inherent in using an analog stick to control cross hair movement in a shooter. Sure, analog sticks are great, but they have their place. That place is 3D sandbox games like Mario 64 (or Galaxy, for you newfangled gamers) or what have you. FPS games demand mouse and keyboard. End of story.

Ok, so now that I've run my mouth on that would you guys mind either backing me up or telling me I'm an idiot. Would you want to use this sort of setup on a console game? If yes then would it make you consider console FPSes if you haven't played them for the same reason as me? If not then do tell why.

18 comments:

  1. I agree with you. FPS games just don't feel right without a mouse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice post i like the mouse :O it's a razor?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're one of the reason PC gaming is going down lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a fan of FPS' but I think it would be cool to have a mouse/keyboard accessory for them on consoles. Definitely a mark that has been left untapped.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldnt mind if the PC would go down for gaming because its so much cheaper to play on a console.. but i would never ever play a fps without a mouse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What do you mean by that, Willow?

    No clue what kind of mouse it is, I just googled mouse and saw that one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like FPS on both consoles and PC, but you really can't play intense games like L4D on console. COD and Gears are FPS-games that you can play with a controller.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yeah some games are WAY to hard with a mouse

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah the only problem is they've lost marketing hope. It seems more and more people care less. But Indie gaming is a whole new experience. I just hope some fucking person like valve revolutionizing or recreates the atmosphere when no one wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 99.9% of console shooters have some degree of built-in autoaim to compensate for lack of precision in a controller.
    The problem is even if you play KB+M in a console game, the controllerfags are gonna have autoaim enabled and they'll still shit all over you.


    +following

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha I agree with Shan'dre.... always happens

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's not superior, it's just mind-numblingly easier. Superior is a matter of preference.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You make a fine point, but I want to raise another one. Another reason I enjoy PC over Console (if I have the choice) is due to the graphical capabilities of the system. By the time a console is out the tech is far obsolete and simply cannot keep up. Why not just convince more developers to work on PC as well? lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree. I also agree with The Game Store Guy. You have some good ideas man :)

    ReplyDelete