Chitika banner

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Game idea

So why has no one made an MMOFPS yet? It might actually get someone like me to try out the whole MMO thing. You could start out as some sort of class of character, be it a straight soldier, a medic an engineer, a scout whatever. Start with a basic weapon and join groups who have to perform missions like raids on emplaced structures or blowing up a bridge or whatever. Over time you could earn experience which would improve your abilities sort of like they do in Wolfenstein Enemy Territory. As you go you could find more and better weapons. It could be a nice change of pace from the stale WoW and CoD clones every other company is cranking out these days.

The only real problem I can think of with this is is that it'd be a real bitch on the servers. An MMO just has to deal with crunching numbers to calculate what happens. Did that guy just hit me? Well, let's do a check on my evade percentage score or whatever? Did I get a critical hit, well, 8% of the time I do so random number generator: nope, no critical hit. With an FPS though to see if that guy missed me the question is dependant on my position in 3D space at the time of his shot and as for whether I got a critical hit, well, did you hit the chest or head hitbox with your shot? There's a good bit more processing there. I'm sure it could be figured out at some point though, so maybe we'll start seeing these in the future. After all, the original MMOs had to wait till a server farm was capable of hosting thousands of players while still being reasonably profitable for the company running all of those servers.

Any thoughts on that one there, interwebs?

16 comments:

  1. I think Tabula Rasa was as close to an FPSMMO there was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Americas Army, and Warhammer 40k online, there's also many FTP MMOFPSers out there that many people get into.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Massive multiplayer online first person shooter?
    They have those. I think you mean something like first person shooter roleplaying game, like FPSRPG or something :D
    But anyways, it's a great idea, I'd like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well it would be really funny i wouldn't stop to play it till mah death but i think it would be too much heavy for server and for us can u imagine how much laggy it would be?xD

    ReplyDelete
  5. AA doesn't count. You still wind up with single battles with no more than what 40-50 players? I mean having it the way MMOs have giant worlds with thousands of players who can all interact with eachother, but so that you can also shoot people in the face. I just looked up Tabula Rasa on wikipedia and yeah, that's pretty close to what I'm talking about, but it even says the shooter aspect of it isn't really in the FPS style.

    Razor, that's what I was talking about. I know it'd be too server insentive now, but ten years ago servers wouldn't have been able to keep up with Wow, especially in its current state either. The tech just needs to reach that point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. tabula rusa comes to mind, the issue is that for something that generally requires good latency for precise shooting, the large amount of data you need to load just bogs it down, give it a few more years and somethings will probably start popping up

    ReplyDelete
  7. tried out some MMO's and i actually don't like many of them - i think it might has something to do with the whole universe build up in most MMO's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wasn't Requiem something similar?

    ReplyDelete
  9. People keep calling TF2 an MMOFPS due to all the hats but they're either joking or idiots.

    Computers are slowly becoming more powerful for the common individual. I'm sure someone's working on something, just wait a few more years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i wish something like this will come out soon. with a big world and stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Borderlands, also a good MMOFPS, least that's what it's classified as. Solid gameplay, just extremely short and lots of hackers making modified weapons. Overall takes less than 10hrs to beat the main story and 2-3 hours for each expansion. And I think Red Dead Redemption has an online mode to it, not sure though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this would be very interesting.i would like to see something like that

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've thought the same time to time, but you certainly said it well. I would love to see a FPS MMO and I agree the processing and server population problems are the stumbling block. Hope we see something like it soon though! I was going to mention Tabula Rasa too, as I got super excited over that game, but it turned out to be fairly boring.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That would cost a lot in servers

    ReplyDelete
  15. You know they are making Fallout Online right? If you know the Fallout Franchise, it's also FPS.

    Can;t wait for the game. I will keep you updated!

    Check out my blog, I review games and stuff and keep up the latest news abotu games.

    Jeffrey

    ReplyDelete
  16. It wouldn't be too hard on the servers.

    ReplyDelete