Chitika banner

Monday, May 28, 2012

Not just a ride today

I just got back from a nearly 30 mile ride. I didn't just ride around though. My first stop was about 7 miles in at the Taco Derp. I grabbed a pair of soft tacos slathered in volcano sauce. I also topped off my water bottle twice. Once to drink with the tacos and again for the next leg of the ride.

From the Derp I continues on the bike path for another few miles till I reached the dam. I did several jumps off of the dam into water that was MUCH warmer than it was a week ago. No nut freezing at all this time. It was rather nice. I think I did maybe two or three dives and the rest were back flips. I like doing back flips the best because they're freakin' cake and people seem to be impressed with them.

After the dam stop I headed up the hills a bit to my sister's house. I actually had to get off of my bike because the hill was too steep. I was more than 3/4 of the way up it before I did so, but I still feel like a bit of a failure for doing so. I chilled at my sister's place for the better part of an hour then headed home. The last leg went fast because I was coming down all those hills I went up and it seemed like even the flat parts were sloped down a bit because I rarely took it off of the big gear up front.

All in all though I guess I'm happy with my performance. I think that if I'd encountered that one hill by the 5th or so mile, rather than at the 16th I'd have been able to make it all the way up it. I did after all make the climb up 141 just a couple of days ago and that hill is literally a mile long. This one was maybe half that, but much steeper. Not that 141 is a cake walk either, it's still an 8% grade, but this one was just enough more that it kicked my ass. Hopefully by the end of the year I'll be able to make this same ride much quicker and go right up that hill without stopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment